Not Just a Job
The Crane Staffulty (our hybrid word for staff and faculty) wear many hats. They are educators, mentors, advisors, and coaches. Regardless of their roles or responsibilities, all members of the Staffulty are involved in all aspects of the school: participating in daily assemblies, guiding workshops, and leading trips. Every employee at Crane is committed to the development of our students and contributes to the profound sense of community.
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Reports to: Director of Admissions
Compensation: $28.00 to $31.00 per hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision and Group Life and Disability no cost for Staffulty. Retirement contributions of 5% for the first five years, additional 2% after five years. Cafeteria Plan with annual employer contribution of $2,000. Special consideration for tuition assistance.
FLSA Status: Full-Time Non-Exempt
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Crane Country Day School is a co-educational Kindergarten-8th grade independent day school located on a beautiful 11-acre campus in Montecito, CA. Crane is dedicated to providing an experiential education characterized by a thoughtful balance of academic challenge and creative expression. We thrive as a community that builds character and confidence, while celebrating the joy in learning. At Crane, we understand that how we teach is just as important as what we teach. It is a welcoming and supportive place to work—a rich environment where you will find enthusiastic cooperation, healthy relationships with colleagues, and active professional development.
Crane Country Day School seeks a full-time Registrar/School Secretary. The successful candidate will be a friendly, organized and meticulous individual with an ability to collaborate and partner with other members of the Crane Staffulty. We are seeking an individual with extensive school experience who enjoys working with children and in a dynamic school environment.
We are working hard to strengthen diversity at Crane School, so the ideal candidate will also demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through their own learning, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing our own bias. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better school – a place that makes smarter decisions, drives innovation, and delivers a more powerful education for our students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up, manage, and maintain student database (Q) to ensure accurate records of grades, daily attendance, emergency contact information, etc. in compliance with state and/or federal requirements.
- Enroll new students and rollover data from SchoolAdmin enrollment system to Q student database.
- Reconcile and collect student health records, including cumulative health and immunization records in compliance with California Department of Health regulations.
- Maintain a variety of student records and/or files, liaison with parents & caregivers as needed.
- Verify student satisfaction of graduation requirements.
- Greet and welcome guests and visitors at the main office (e.g. parents & caregivers, prospective families, vendors, etc); Connect guests and visitors with Staffulty members they have come to meet.
- Administer basic first aid to students. Notify parents and caregivers if a student is ill.
- Perform general record keeping and clerical functions such as processing mass mailings, making copies, printing documents, etc.
- Serve as a key member of the Safety Committee and assist in planning and coordinating the school’s safety and emergency preparedness.
- Answer incoming phone calls, respond to inquiries, and direct calls as necessary.
- Monitor and log all campus guests as they enter and depart the campus.
- Order administrative office supplies and nurse’s supplies and manage the supply budget.
- Deposit payments received to ensure strong cash management internal controls in collaboration with the Development and Finance offices.
- Provide administrative and planning support for all school events from school plays, parent-teacher conferences to graduation.
- Maintain the reception area, files and desk, in an organized and uncluttered manner, making every effort to store information in a paperless format on the computer.
- Distribute incoming mail and process outgoing mail.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Experience working in schools
- Strong writing and organizational skills
- Experience using Google Workspace apps and Microsoft Office
- Multi-lingual, especially Spanish speaker, desired
Physical and Other Requirements
- Periods of sitting behind a desk and walking around a 12 acre campus
- Occasionally lift 10-20 pounds
- Work in person on-site
- Must pass background investigation via Live Scan.
- TB assessment required for employment in CA schools.
Crane Country Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ+ educators, and educators from communities that have historically been underrepresented in independent schools. Crane is committed to sustaining a diverse and inclusive community in which each member is respected and valued. We believe that a diversity of voices and backgrounds enriches the educational experience by encouraging a variety of thought, social awareness, and a creative exchange of ideas.
We are evaluating applications as we receive them and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
K-8 Teaching Fellows
Crane’s Fellows Program is a residential teaching fellowship. It is a two-year, hands-on teaching experience that combines a rich professional development and mentoring program with daily opportunities for practical application.
Teaching fellows are new to the field of teaching and seek to immerse themselves in a dynamic and innovative educational environment in which they can gain valuable insights, perspectives, and practice in the field of teaching.
On-call K-8 Substitute Teachers
Education and Experience:
- Prior experience in education desirable
- College degree required
Successful candidates will possess the following attributes:
- High energy level
- Positive attitude
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Competitive wage of $150/day commensurate with education, skills, and experience. Crane Country Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit letter of interest and resume to Kate Brody-Adams, Assistant to the Head of School, via email at email@example.com or via fax at (805) 969-3635. Please indicate grade preferences in your letter. Please note any foreign language skills in your resume.